1997 Topps Star Wars Widevision trading cards. The basis of the set is to present the original Star Wars film as it was meant to be seen. This meant a fairly drastic change in format to something bigger. The result: one of the best Star Wars base sets of all-time.
This is a 72 card Widevision set, featuring 24 card images from each Star Wars movie, with a different color border for each movie (brown, blue, green). Very, very few (maybe 2?) of the images on the cards are from new Special Edition footage.
The Star Wars Trilogy logo is in the top left corner of each card (not foil stamped), and the name of the movie in the lower right corner. Text (again written/edited by Steve Sansweet) on the back describes the movie story line, with additional photo images from the movies, but no behind-the-scenes information.
These cards also have an extremely cheesy caption at the bottom front of each card.
- #1-24: Star Wars: A New Hope (brown border).
- #25-48: Empire Strikes Back (blue border).
- #49-72: Return of the Jedi (green border). Card #72 includes a checklist on the back.
Six “Topps Laser” chase cards, different from the chase cards in the Special Edition Widevision set!
- 1: Luke watching hologram of Princess Leia
- 2: Han and Chewie in the Millenium Falcon cockpit
- 3: Admiral Ozzel
- 4: hologram of Emperor Palpatine
- 5: Sarlac Pit
- 6: Emperor Palpatine using force lightning
*** THIS IS A COMPLETE SET, INCLUDING THE LASER CUT CHASE CARDS AND ALBUM ***