The year 2020 is really one to go down in the history books…and WotC is doing their part to at least try to obtain a footnote in that chapter.
It could be just me (hahaha j/k), but I’m getting the feeling WotC is either trying to kill the game with love or they are just stirring up controversy for the eyeballs. Controversy is a great way to garner more interest in a product, so it could just as well be their latest marketing plan. For my own sake I just wanted to make a list of all the controversy WotC caused this year
- Printing format warping cards with almost every release and subsequently banning them
- WotC banning random cards that they deemed racist
- Banning certain controversial artists
- Selling a time-limited product with mechanically unique cards tied in to a non-Magic IP
- Retconning LBGT representation in the novels
- Mistreating PoC employees
- Removing a content creator for also having a fans-only page
- Leaking crucial information to 3 competitive players
- Breach of contract with D&D
- Almost functional reprint of an RL card
- Ongoing accusations of insider trading, based on constant specific price spikes days before announcements are made
What do you think? Is WotC purposely riling up the controversy here? I think they are, because I just cannot believe these are all honest mistakes. Did I forget anything in this? Let me know in the comments below!